Most of us are familiar with the myriad ways cucumbers can be consumed. Aside from eating them in a salad, on a sandwich, or pickled, did you know cucumbers could be used to clean the kitchen sink or to prevent a hangover? The following uses for cucumbers may surprise you:
1. Cucumbers contain most of the vitamins you need every day, including B vitamins, Folic Acid, Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Zinc.
2. Need a quick energy boost? Because Cucumbers are high in B Vitamins they are an ideal choice. The next time you reach for an energy drink when you want a pick-me-up, consider a cucumber instead.
3. Want to keep the bathroom mirror from fogging up after a shower? Rubbing a cucumber slice along the mirror will do the trick while leaving a refreshing fragrance as a bonus.
4. Looking for an eco-friendly way to rid your garden of pests? Placing a few slices in the bottom of a small pie tin will keep slugs out of your garden for the entire season. The chemical reaction of the cucumber and aluminum emits a scent that drives pests away, but is undetectable to humans.
5. Swimsuit season is here! If you’re looking for an economical all-natural solution to cellulite reach for a cucumber. Simply rub cucumber slices along your problem areas for a few minutes; this will cause the collagen in your skin to tighten, reducing the visibility of cellulite. The same goes for wrinkles!
6. In need of a spa treatment but can’t get away? Cut up an entire cucumber and place it in a boiling pot of water. The steam that’s released will create a soothing, relaxing aroma that has been shown to reduce stress. Of course, freshly cut slices on your eyelids will reduce signs of puffiness as well.
7. Not enough time to polish your shoes? Rubbing a freshly cut cucumber over the shoe will provide a quick shine that not only looks great but also repels water.
8. Got a squeaky hinge that needs fixing? No problem. Rub a cucumber slice along the hinge and good-bye squeak!
9. Looking for a ‘green’ way to clean your faucets, sinks or stainless steel? Rub the surface you want to clean with a cucumber slice. It will remove tarnish and leave a shine without damaging your skin.
10. All out of breath mints? Press a cucumber slice to the roof of your mouth with your tongue for 30 seconds. Bad breath disappears because the phytochemical kills the bacteria in your mouth responsible for causing bad breath.
11. Want to prevent a hangover or headache? Eat a few cucumber slices before going to bed and wake up headache free. Cucumbers replenish essential nutrients the body loses due to alcohol consumption. Or you could just drink cucumber martinis!
12. Make a mistake using a pen? Use the outside of a cucumber to erase the pen writing. This also applies to crayons and markers!
We are still open and providing in-clinic service at a case-by-case basis as well as providing telemedicine and other channels for remote treatment/training. Call your nearest Center location for more details.